The following is a list of answers to Jeff Rients' twenty quick questions for your campaign setting. Well, kind of.
1. What is the deal with my cleric's religion?
You don't want to ask your "cleric" what his religion is. You don't want to get involved in hair-splitting theological disputes. Especially not in the kind of disputes between the Malkioneranist Wisdom Church and the Atroxic Church, which may end in bloodshed.
2. Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
To buy equipment, go to the nearest city. If you're OK to barter, you may try the closest fair or village.
3. Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
Plate mail? I don't think your character will ever get that rich!
4. Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
You don't want to start a pissing contest between a God Learner and a demonologist.
5. Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
One of the bad-ass Horali from one of the Malki cities on the coast. If asked, most Malki would say the greatest warrior in Umathela is Hergo II, Grand Master of the Rightness Templars. Some, however, would probably mention Nicephorus the Apostate, pirate ruler of the free city of Clission.
6. Who is the richest person in the land?
That's a good question. Some of the Malki merchants are really rich, but they're usually not bragging about their riches. Then most of the old lineage Malki families have managed to retain much of their wealth despite the recent catastrophes.
7. Where can we go to get some magical healing?
Alchemists may have healing potions to sell. They would be expensive.
Some wizards are able to heal, but they would only heal people within the same wizardly order as theirs.
Some heathen priests are able to heal, but they would only heal people of the same religion. Only the priestesses of Neiropha the Healer heal indiscriminately.
Herbalists prepare healing poultices. Not sure those would be considered as "magical" healing though.
8. Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
Depends on the curse. But usually that would be the wizard or the priest who inflicted the curse upon you in the first place.
d/ level drain
This is called Tapping in Glorantha, and is universally acknowledged to be the evillest form of sorcery. Unfortunately, there is no cure for Tapping.
The person who polymorphed you in the first place.
g/ alignment change
There is no such thing as 'alignment change' in Glorantha. The closest equivalent would be switching your cult loyalty, but that is something you do intentionally. Whenever you do switch your cult loyalty, you may be hunted down by your former cult's spirits of reprisal. Unless you find some magic or spirit protection, this can hurt.
Priestesses of Neiropha the Healer may resurrect dead people. They would only do so for very important people, however, and certainly not for lowly adventurers. Also, this must be done quickly: once the soul has departed the dead body, there is no resurrection possible.
The person who turned you into an undead in the first place.
9. Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
Your wizard obviously belongs to a wizardly order. Rogue wizards don't last long.
10. Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
You can find them in the nearest city, at the court of the local ruler, in his exclusive employ. Only very large cities would have experts for hire.
11. Where can I hire mercenaries?
Depends on the kind of mercenaries you're looking for. If you're looking for soldiers able to fight as a unit, and to follow your orders, go to one of the cities on the coast. If you're looking for mere ne'er-do-wells who will fight for you in exchange for some money; well... you can find that sort of good-for-nothings pretty much anywhere in Umathela.
12. Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
It is usually forbidden to walk with bare weapons in the Malki cities. In the small towns and villages of the hinterland, people will give you a wide berth if you're armed and look dangerous.
Magic is legal if you are a wizard— who is to stop a wizard? If you are practising heathen magic, you better be inconspicuous in Malki-ruled areas.
Murder, theft, unruly behaviour, etc. are forbidden everywhere, even in the tiniest settlements. Of course, the law enforcers may be weaker than the player characters, but they will be reported to the other urban centres of the area.
13. Which way to the nearest tavern?
Just round the corner.
14. What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
Elves. Especially in this age and time when they're supposedly extinct.
15. Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
16. How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
17. Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
The Malki cities of the coast teem with secret societies with sinister agendas.
In the hinterland, where people live simpler lives, the only sinister secret society is the cult of Nontraya.
18. What is there to eat around here?
Wheat, barley, oat, buckwheat, silverbeet, parsnip, cabbage, legumes, olives, nuts, cheeses, fresh fish, smoked fish, poultry, dog, pork.
Wealthy Malki may have food imported from distant lands.
19. Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
Oh, yes! That's actually why there are adventurers in the first place: to loot and plunder the legendary lost treasures of the God Learners!
20. Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
The Malki says— Dragons live up north in the heathen lands of the Empire of the Wyrms Friends. Believe me, you don't want to fight one.
The Umathing says— Dragons don't exist. Go and try to scare somebody else's children, stanger!
The Doraddi says— The Dragon sleeps deep down in the heart of the mountains. Do not awaken the Dragon! The world will come to an end if you do!